Wednesday 18 June 2008

Am I Coming On Too Strong, Being Passive Takes Too Long

Daydream – The Earthtones









[I doubt anyone would know that song . . . obscure Canadian boy band from the 90s that never really made it big. Though they had this one song that I find so cute, in all its boy-bandy goodness.]

Note to self: Be patient. For @!%*'s sake, be patient.

Anyway, let’s move on to the meat and potatoes of this post, shall we?

I now understand why the apology came when it did. It was done with the intention of having a clean slate to start fresh with. And that . . . I can respect. In a way I think I needed this to happen in order to know for sure that I have managed to come out of this alive.

With that in mind, I couldn’t help but wonder . . . why the hell am I using Carrie Bradshaw’s catchphrase? Err, I digress. But really, I couldn’t help but wonder . . . while I had rebooted by life and had my fresh start last summer, did I really do so with a clean slate?

My mood has changed considerably in recent weeks. A more active social life and getting reacquainted with old friends means that I’m finally starting to get over the “Hong Kong sucks” phase and am slowly moving into my “okay, maybe it’s not soooo bad” phase. But like I was telling a friend of mine the other day, being over “Hong Kong sucks” is NOT the same as being over “I want to go hooooome.” Not that I’m actually whining . . . because life here does have its upside.

People my age in Hong Kong work their fingers to the bone, keeping inhuman hours . . . yes for career advancement but also for one other purpose – to maintain a hedonistic lifestyle. My CBC/ABC/BBC peers here bring a new definition to pleasure-seeking that is unrivalled by any other city [that I have seen, anyway] – including New York, Tokyo and even LA [the jury is still out on Vegas]. Any given Friday could mean going for dinner after work and staying out until 5 or 6 am – essentially making it a 24-hour day. Then everyone goes home, sleeps a few hours, and the entire thing is repeated on Saturday.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

After my first experience with this weekend double feature, I was completely shattered. Wrecked beyond belief. FUBARed, if you will. Here I am, four days after the fact . . . my voice is still a little hoarse and I’m still paying for the lack of sleep. But you know . . . I can honestly say that the fun to be had is definitely worth its price.

And now I’m beginning to wonder if I should have another fresh start – one where a clean slate is exactly that . . . Maybe it should be a reformat and not just be a reboot. Maybe it should have nothing to do whatsoever, with anything that reminds me of the past. And maybe, I really shouldn’t be in such a rush to go home.

No comments: