Tuesday 24 November 2009

Stopped Dreaming Of Your Face, Now I Don't Dream At All

Somedays - jacksoul

Heard some news from the Canadian music scene today and it made me very sad. And unfortunately it happened on my birthday.

Haydain Neale, frontman for Juno-award winning R&B/soul group jacksoul, passed away at the age of 39 after a seven month long battle with lung cancer. Like many Canadian musicians, jacksoul kind of got lost in the shuffle, trying to compete with their counterparts from our neighbours to the south. How could they compete with acts such as K-Ci & Jojo and all of their financial backing?

Luckily, because of CanCon, jacksoul got a decent amount of airplay within Canada and some of us were privileged to know their music. When thinking about the type of male voice I find attractive, Neale's was always amongst the ones I'd pick out. What a strong, masculine baritone he had. But unfortunately, Neale has passed just a few short days away from the release of a brand new album.

jacksoul's song "Somedays", from the 2000 album Sleepless, was the particular song I had on repeat when dealing with a certain heartbreak back in the day. It's still one of my favourites. For your listening pleasure:









If you don't know jacksoul or had forgotten about them during their recent hiatus, I urge you to take a journey into their world. They just might touch your soul.

Rest in peace, Haydain Neale
09.03.1970 - 11.22.2009

No comments: