Wednesday 7 November 2007

I Beg Your Pardon

I Beg Your Pardon [I Never Promised You A Rose Garden] - The Pet Shop Boys

Sooooooo . . . I had my interview at TVB today. Met with the group at Tseung Kwan O MTR station where we were then herded onto the TVB bus and carted to "TV City". Was brought in as part of the 30-member shortlist . . . of which we were told, they would take "many". I was assigned the number 14 . . . right off the bat . . . already unlucky. Then we were briefed on what would be happening and WHAT? WHAT? Part of the interview is in Putonghua??? O_O

Walking into the interview room felt like going before a firing squad. Along one side of the room was the interview panel consisting of a TVB sports anchor, the producer, the director, a university professor, a TVB talent scout, and one other person . . . oh and the camera operator dude. The questions were straight-forward/predictable enough . . .
1. Give a self-introduction. [Cantonese, 1 minute]
2. Tell us why we should select you. [English, 30 seconds]
3. If selected, which sport will you be most eager to cover? [Putonghua, 30 seconds]
I was doing pretty well until we got to the final question. >_< DAMNIT. I fully understood what they were asking me, I just couldn't answer eloquently . . . and I wasn't allowed to use any other languages. Grr. Wish me luck though . . . they hadn't specified on the application that I need to be fluent in Putonghua.

My life seems to be ruled by coincidences and random luck. Some would say that I might be overly-supersitious. But how random is this?

One of the guys in my group had mentioned that he'd returned to HK a few years ago from Vancouver. So we got to chatting and lo and behold, he is a double "si hing" of mine, having gone to both Jamieson and Churchill. Though he is +5 . . . he did look a bit familiar, but maybe that's because he'd done some on-air work for Fairchild back in the day.

Then, on my way home at the Causeway Bay MTR station, I run into none other than Will! I was just minding my own business, riding up the escalator . . . when I look over and see the "hongolo" pointing at me. Hahaha. How weird . . . in a city of seven million . . .

No comments: